For a while now i have followed and envied Katchie Nzama’s solo adventures (see them here) across different African countries and i am inspired to break borders on my own, backpacker style. Although i have a million reasons why i would like to take on this self imposed challenge, the 6 below come out tops.
- Going whenever. I have lost count of the number of failed vacations my friends and i have planned together. For a solo vacation i do not really have to wait for others to confirm the trip and most importantly the trip is planned exactly the way George wants it. Don’t get me wrong, i appreciate travel with friends but there is so much compromise and patience that one needs to invest in to make the vacation memorable.
- Self Rediscovery. Being alone in an unfamiliar environment would grant me the opportunity to enjoy being me and find out new and hopefully interesting and exciting things about myself. I believe in our everyday lives we all strive to be better versions of ourselves: solo travel would facilitate that process.
- Appreciation. As i would be alone, i would mostly rely on the help of strangers to make my vacation an interesting experience. Appreciating and trusting strangers with literally my life and learning through them.
- Character Test. Solo travel would test my adaption levels in any environment and teach not to expect anything but to experience and hopefully learn.
- Budget. Knowing that i would be travelling alone with no else to rely on would ensure that i stay within my budget.
- Memories. This is a given and i have nothing more to add onto this. The solo vacation would give me an opportunity to tell a different story about my experiences.
Would you go on a solo trip?
Yours in wanderlust,